DUNGENESS SPIT, OLYMPIC PENINSULA, WASHINGTON STATE (N 48 8′ 43.956″ W 123 11′ 9.821″)
Embark on a captivating coastal adventure to Dungeness Spit, a hidden gem nestled within the stunning landscapes of Washington State. This natural wonder invites you to explore a unique blend of pristine beaches, diverse wildlife, and breathtaking views, making it a must-visit destination for nature enthusiasts and wanderers alike.
Stretching into the cerulean waters of the Salish Sea, Dungeness Spit boasts one of the longest natural sand spits in the United States. As you traverse its sandy expanse, you’ll be treated to a mesmerizing panorama where the rugged Olympic Mountains meet the endless horizon of the Pacific Ocean. The rhythmic lullaby of gentle waves and the salty sea breeze create a soothing ambiance, providing the perfect setting for a tranquil escape.
Nature lovers will delight in the abundant wildlife that calls Dungeness Spit home. Keep an eye out for majestic bald eagles soaring above, playful seals basking on the rocks, and vibrant seabirds dancing along the shore. The ever-changing tides reveal tide pools teeming with fascinating marine life, offering an opportunity to witness the delicate intricacies of coastal ecosystems up close.
Hiking the length of Dungeness Spit rewards you with the crown jewel of this enchanting destination: the Dungeness Lighthouse. A historic sentinel perched at the tip of the spit, the lighthouse offers panoramic vistas that showcase the natural beauty of the area in all its glory. As the sun dips below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the landscape, you’ll be treated to a sunset spectacle that leaves an indelible mark on your heart.
HOW TO GET THERE (FROM SEATTLE)
- Starting in Seattle, head west on Madison St toward 4th Ave.
- Take the 1st right onto 5th Ave.
- Use any lane to turn slightly left onto Western Ave.
- Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto Elliott Ave W.
- Use the right 2 lanes to merge onto WA-520 E via the ramp to Bellevue.
- Take the exit onto I-405 N toward Renton.
- Merge onto I-5 N.
- Take exit 109 for WA-109 N toward Hoquiam.
- Continue onto WA-109 N.
- Turn right onto US-101 E.
- Continue onto Kitchen-Dick Rd.
- Turn left onto Voice of America Rd.
- Follow signs to the Dungeness National Wildlife Refuge and Dungeness Spit.
- There is a more scenic route that includes ferries but be aware the schedules vary so check their website.